Activating & Energizing Girls in Science
June 22, 2017 | Posted in Energy Education
Girls from Miami Valley schools recently discovered how much fun science could be at AEGIS (Activating and Energizing Girls in Science), a three-day camp sponsored by Dayton Power & Light and facilitated by the Ohio Energy Project. The camp allowed girls in grades 7-9 to explore science and energy while working in a team setting. During AEGIS, each team collaborated to build an energy bike, which is a stationary bike that can illuminate light bulbs while being pedaled. Each team will take the bikes back to their home schools to use in the classroom to teach their peers at school about energy.
Students and teachers talk about their experience in this video:
Schools participating from the DP&L service area include:
- Dayton Regional STEM School
- Edison Elementary School (Dayton Public School District)
- Graham Middle School
- Russia Local School
- Warner Middle School (Xenia Community Schools)
Girls in STEM
Studies show that girls and boys are equally interested in science at a young age, until stereotypes and lack of role models lead to a disinterest by the time girls start middle school. AEGIS gives girls a chance to experiment in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields, giving them a chance to learn and considering pursuing careers in those areas. AEGIS participants also visited DP&L’s operations headquarters to hear from women who work in science-related jobs at DP&L.
This is the fourth AEGIS event that DP&L has sponsored, resulting in a total of 20 energy bikes in classrooms across the Miami Valley. Learn more about DP&L’s energy education programs.
- DP&L offers a playbook of rebates and incentives to help you be a #SavingsChampion and manage summer energy bills:… https://t.co/0K9wm227Y9
@DPLToday 5 days ago
- #HotWeather tip: Don't let furniture + draperies block cooling airflow from vents. Get more #SavingsChampion tips:… https://t.co/FYR0AZ9u3D
@DPLToday 7 days ago
- It's going to be HOT this week! Get DP&L #SavingsChampion tips to help manage your bill and stay cool for less:… https://t.co/IwukMcZo4I
@DPLToday 7 days ago