Fight the winter chill with Savings Champion tips
December 15, 2016 | Posted in Tips & Ways to Save
Single digits are hitting the Miami Valley early this season, so we’re here before winter officially starts offering tips to help you Be a Savings Champion this season.
Let’s tip off with a special report from Bob and Dan:
Winter Energy-Saving Tips
It’s important to take measures to reduce heating costs because 40% of a home’s annual bill goes to heating. Simple changes can make a big impact on your energy bill:
- Install a programmable or Wi-Fi enabled thermostat. Proper use can save you about $180 per year in energy costs, plus you can score additional DP&L rebates when you pair it with the installation of a new HVAC system.
What are the recommended thermostat settings during the winter? Set your thermostat to 70° or less when you’re home, and set it back at least 8 degrees when you’re at work or sleeping.
- Change or clean your furnace air filter once a month.
- Set ceiling fans to turn clockwise and run them on low speed to circulate warm air.
- Close all doors, windows and screens. You may want to purchase inexpensive window kits to cover unused windows and doors with plastic.
- Prevent drafts by closing fireplace dampers when not in use.
- Sealing air leaks around your home and adding insulation can help make your home more comfortable, more energy efficient and provide up to 10% savings on your annual energy bills.
Be sure to check out additional tips to save energy during cold weather on our website.
Are you a Savings Champion?
- Renters can be a #SavingsChampion too 🙌 https://t.co/hQGMIkST65
@DPLToday 7 hours ago
- Plus, DP&L customers can score an additional rebate - up to $1,250 - when they upgrade! Be a #SavingsChampion:… https://t.co/AsVMLgFbXa
@DPLToday 4 days ago
- DYK that LED bulbs can last up to 25x longer than incandescents? Be a #SavingsChampion with DP&L discounts on LEDs:… https://t.co/PMIpVfIJul
@DPLToday 5 days ago