Flip your fridge this Earth Day for big savings
April 22, 2016 | Posted in Tips & Ways to Save
With spring and baseball season underway, it’s time for you to step up your game: your refrigerator game, that is. Along with ENERGY STAR®, and in honor of Earth Day, DP&L encourages you to flip your fridge. Replacing an old model with a new ENERGY STAR model is not only cool for the planet, but it’s also cool for you, since you’ll save money on your energy bill.
Of the 170 million refrigerators in use today, more than 60 million are at least 10 years old. That’s roughly $4.7 billion a year in energy costs. However, did you know that when you call to the bullpen and replace your old refrigerator for a new ENERGY STAR certified model, you can save up to $260 over the next five years AND reduce carbon footprint by 8,200 pounds? That’s a win-win situation! Just to be sure, put your refrigerator to the test with ENERGY STAR’s savings calculator and find out just how much money you can save.
Refrigerator savings tips
If you recently switched to an ENERGY STAR certified model or are currently thinking about it, then you’re headed in the right direction. Now it’s time to take your game plan a step further with these helpful tips to Be a Savings Champion:
- Don’t leave your refrigerator door open. Every time it’s opened, much of its cool air escapes.
- A full refrigerator retains cold better and uses less energy than an empty one.
- Make sure your refrigerator and freezer doors automatically swing shut. If not, adjust the legs or feet so the refrigerator leans back just enough so the doors will close on their own.
- Keep the refrigerator temperature set between 35-38°. Keep the freezer at 0°.
- Vacuum or dust the refrigerator coils twice a year to keep the compressor running efficiently.
Check out ENERGY STAR for more information about refrigerators, including a helpful buying guide, and be sure to read up on appliance and other energy savings tips to lower your energy bill even more!