Decorate with LEDs to save money this holiday season
December 5, 2018 | Posted in Efficient Lighting
Post originally published December 16, 2015. Updated December 5, 2018.
During this time of year, families often get excited to light their homes and trees in bright colors. But if you’re not careful, this colorful display of joy and cheer can turn into a frustrating energy bill. DP&L wants all of our customers to have a wonderful holiday season and Be a Savings Champion without sacrificing the lighting traditions your family celebrates. So today we’re sharing with you how LEDs can keep your energy bill low and your neighbors in awe of your home holiday lighting display.
Why Choose LEDs
LEDs (light-emitting diodes) are a great choice when it comes to holiday lighting. LEDs are beneficial because they are:
- Energy efficient: They use 70% less energy than conventional incandescent strings of lights, saving you money on your energy bills.
- Long-lasting: They can last up to 10 times longer than incandescent light strings.
- Safe: They stay cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
- Sturdy: The bulbs are made of epoxy, not glass, so they are much more durable than other lights.
- Variety: LED holiday lights come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes.
Initial Price is Worth the Overall Cost
Typical energy costs for holiday lights
Although LEDs are more expensive up front than other holiday light options, over the course of their lifetime, LEDs will save you money. With LEDs, you can light a 6-foot tree for 12 hours for only 27 cents. What’s the cost to light that same tree for the same time with incandescent bulbs, you ask? A lot pricier, at $10.
Have you already decorated your home with LED holiday lights? If so, find us on Facebook and share with us a picture of your lit tree or any other items you decorated in the house. You might even be able to get ideas for decorating in the future!
- RT @DPLToday: Did you know? With LED holiday lights, you can light a 6-foot tree for 12 hours for only 27 cents. What’s the cost with incan…
@directoptions 1 week ago
- Did you know? With LED holiday lights, you can light a 6-foot tree for 12 hours for only 27 cents. What’s the cost… https://t.co/YAbbioOTnv
@DPLToday 1 week ago