October is Energy Awareness Month
October 3, 2017 | Posted in Tips & Ways to Save
Post updated October 18, 2017
October is National Energy Awareness Month, and we’re joining our friends at the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (MEEA) in marking October 5 as the 2nd annual Energy Efficiency Day. The theme of Energy Efficiency Day: “Save energy. Save money.” should sound familiar to DP&L Savings Champions, it’s what our campaign is all about.
DP&L customers can explore programs to individually track their usage and take steps to make their homes and appliances more energy efficient:
Our online account portal gives customers the ability to view and download up to 24 months of historical energy usage. You can use this data to create a baseline and track how your energy efficiency investments pay off. Create a profile today.
Saving energy can be as easy as changing a light bulb. Even though lighting typically only makes up about 12% of a home’s energy bill, installing LEDs can go a long way in offsetting energy costs. For example, just replacing all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs in the average home (40 bulbs) the savings can add up to $3,200 over the life of the LEDs.
Heating and Cooling Rebates
Homeowners can replace or upgrade their HVAC systems with a high efficiency model and receive a rebate up to $1,250. By just adding a programmable Wi-Fi enabled thermostat, you can receive an additional $20-50. You must work with a participating contractor to score HVAC rebates. Learn more. HVAC rebates are a great opportunity for business customers to score savings as well.
October Energy Efficiency Events
October 5-7: Appliance Amnesty Day in Montgomery County
Montgomery County will waive its appliance drop-off charge, and DP&L will pay $50 rebates for working refrigerators and freezers, and $20 rebates for working room air conditioners and dehumidifiers.
- Dates: October 5 and 6 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. and October 7 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Location: Montgomery County Solid Waste District Transfer and Recycling Facility, 1001 Encrete Lane, Moraine
Beginning October 21: Incandescent Turn In Days
Want a free LED light bulb? It’s easy! For every incandescent light bulb you bring to one of the following WalMart parking lots during an ENERGY STAR® Change the World Tour event, DP&L will give you a FREE replacement LED bulb.
- Saturday, October 21 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. 2825 South State Route 36, Wilmington
- Sunday, October 22 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. 100A E Washington Rd, Eaton
- Saturday, October 28 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. 7680 Brandt Pike, Huber Heights
- Saturday, October 29 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. 2400 W Michigan St, Sidney
Why make the trade? Well, these LED bulbs use up to 90% less energy, last up to 25 times longer and can each save $55 in energy costs over their lifetime. Limit 12 LED light bulbs per person, while supplies last.
October 25: Weatherization Day Block Party
DP&L is joining the Community Action Partnership (CAP) of the Greater Dayton Area for the community block party where DP&L, CAP and other non-profit agencies will be on hand to answer questions about winter heating assistance.
We offer free energy-saving home improvements for income-eligible customers through area Community Action Partnership (CAP) agencies. Our efficient lighting team will be at the event, sharing tips and ways to save, and offering free DP&L giveaways.
- Wednesday, October 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Across from The Salvation Army Kroc Center at 1000 N. Keowee St. in Dayton. Park at the Kroc Center then walk to the big white tent near Protzman and Milburn Ave.
- Get more event information on Facebook.
Follow on Social Media
In addition to the programs and October events mentioned above, follow us on social media as we share energy saving tips and information to help you Be a Savings Champion.
- HOT WEATHER TIP: Block the sun from heating your home during the hottest parts of the day by closing curtains and b… https://t.co/XAWt8VrBZ8
@DPLToday 2 days ago
- HOT WEATHER TIP: Fire up the grill and cook outside to avoid adding heat to your home from your oven or stove. More… https://t.co/3tMKVwE5Ak
@DPLToday 2 days ago
- HOT WEATHER TIP: Avoid using heat-producing appliances like the dryer or dishwasher during the hottest parts of the… https://t.co/8wo1NLSh7I
@DPLToday 2 days ago