October is Energy Awareness Month
October 1, 2015 | Posted in Tips & Ways to Save
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) has declared October Energy Awareness Month. October is the perfect time for a savings champion to review your game plan to save energy and money, before cold temperatures move in for winter.
Savings plays for your home
- Install a programmable thermostat to save 5-15% on heating and cooling costs1 and earn $20-$50 from DP&L any time this year. Go for extra points by installing a Wi-Fi enabled or “smart” thermostat and score a $50 rebate from DP&L through October. Learn more.
- Take an inventory of the appliances and electronics in your home. How many of your appliances are ENERGY STAR® certified? Electronics earn the ENERGY STAR when they meet industry-standard benchmarks to ensure they use energy efficiently. ENERGY STAR certifies a wide range of products including refrigerators, clothes washers and dryers, water heaters, televisions, personal computers, tablets and more. If you’re in the market for new appliances or electronics, be sure to shop ENERGY STAR. In addition to the savings you’ll see from purchasing efficient products, how would you like a rebate from DP&L when you purchase a qualifying appliance? We’re offering rebates on ENERGY STAR clothes washers and refrigerators through the end of October. Find a participating retailer here.
- LED light bulbs are your energy-saving all stars. They’re up to 85% more efficient than standard incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 years. Yes, LED light bulbs may cost a little more than other options, but if you pair the long term savings with instant, in-store lighting discounts from DP&L at participating local retailers, you’re sure to see big-time savings.
Business energy-saving all stars
- Lighting upgrades are one of the easiest ways for your business to score a quick win for energy savings. DP&L speeds up your ROI on efficient lighting equipment with Rapid Rebates, our “prescriptive” measures that are proven to reduce energy usage for business and government customers. Our lighting rebates include savings on easy investments like efficient fixtures, motion sensors and LED exit signs. View the full list of lighting rapid rebates here.
- Coach your staff to make behavioral changes that can lead to big savings for businesses. Simple actions like shutting down computers and monitors at the end of the day and turning off lights and electronics when not in use all add up. Engage your employees to create a culture of conservation in your company. Simple actions multiplied make a difference.
- Get drafted into the pros with an energy audit by a professional engineering firm. An energy audit will provide a comprehensive overview of your facilities, examining everything from lighting to HVAC to building controls. The end result is a comprehensive scouting report that details how energy is being used, potential savings and a list of prioritized projects that can help you score big-time. DP&L will rebate up to 100% of the audit cost if you implement electric-savings measures within one year of the audit. Learn more about DP&L’s energy audit program.
In addition to rebates and discounts on energy efficient measures, DP&L offers customers payment assistance options that can help spread peak energy costs throughout the year or free energy-saving home improvements for income-eligible residential customers.
DP&L is teaming up with customers to save energy and money. Let us know how you’re saving energy during Energy Awareness Month in the comments below.